This project started up somewhen 2014, and after a long hiatus, I started earnestly hacking at it about one month ago. This automatically leads to the question when it would be good enough so I can show it to others and stop adoring the nice maps all by my lonesome.
Translated in managementy speak, when would I have achieved the “minimum viable product“?
A few days ago, thinking about using Trello for keeping my various trains of thought in some semblance of order, I read a blog entry written by Kevan Lee about managing time for the fifteen billion little side projects every one of us seems to have. The main point to take away from it?
“Never Set A Deadline”
“Over time, I’ve found that advice for side projects isn’t always the same as advice for regular ol’ daily work. In fact, a lot of the time it’s the opposite!
Side projects are a very different animal than traditional work”
At long last, someone who speaks from the core of my heart 🙂
7 thoughts to “How I stopped worrying about “when can I release this?””
Your “about” page sais:
“Primarily, a map showing Mosques stored in the OpenStreetMap database.”
Why, then, does the map show no POI when I disable google.com?:
(better resolution, 2MB png:
If you have the developer tools switched on, I would love to see the HTTP traffic in your debug log. The main reason why you should not see any POIs should be that you do not allow Ajax request from osmmosques.org.
I temporarily allowed osmmosques.org to look at it. Usually I have google.com allowed, too. With google.com enabled the POI showed, with disabled they didn’t.
I hope this is the right kind of log?:
If not, please give detailed instructions how to get the log you want.
Reproducing the described behavior is easy:
get a new Firefox profile
Look at your site with Google allowed (POI show)/forbidden (POI don’t show).
Thank your for your help, I actually found the problem. To be helpful to non-OSM users, I allow to use Google as a base layer (as many many other map sites do).
I am working on a fix for this at the moment, hopefully I should have something within the hour. If I am not successful with that, I will simply disable the offending base layers 🙂
I think I solved the issue. I can go to my map, disable Google in noscript, and still see the POIs.
Thank you very much again for the bug report.
Now all I have to do is asking the nice guys at OSM Wochennotiz ( http://blog.openstreetmap.de/blog/2016/04/wochennotiz-nr-299 ) to remove the comment that the POIs would be from google 🙂
Thanks for the fix.
I updated the Wochennotiz entry regardingly.
(btw: I wrote about the issue here since your “contact” only has a submit form but no mail address. And I like to have stuff in the open as much as possible anyway 🙂 )
Oops, there is always one more thing to fix 🙂
I will have a look at the contact form later today.